18 June, 2007

Sad day for the pups, new puppy pen



Pup 4 died this morning, sometime between the 4am and the 6am feedings. I don't know what was the immediate cause, but he had been coughing some blood. Maybe he aspirated some of the milk, or maybe his body just gave up. Roxie and I were both very upset, and we had a little cry together.

Last night Roxy also had a little incident with John - he was snuggling her, and she suddenly whipped her head around as if to bite. She didn't bite him, but she smacked him real hard with her head, and gave him a small cut and a bruise. It happened lightning fast, and without any growling or snarling - and it seemed to confuse Roxy almost as much as it confused us. Afterwards, she went back to being easy-going and letting us go on with our business, though she kinda gave us the 'what the heck?' expression for a while. Goes to show you that you never know what might trigger a strange dog - and she's always been more afraid of John than of me. Probably b/c he's a dude. So, we need to be vigilant and careful with her.

Anyway, after that we both agreed that I should continue pup care, and John shouldn't have to do all the overnight feedings (though he was willing to do them, shiner and all).

This morning, after I buried pup 4 in a quiet, shady spot by the wash, I decided to go to PetSmart and get a whelping pen of some kind. Just a pen to restrict the movements of the pups in the room upstairs, so that we can be sure they're always on a nice, clean, safe surface. But when I walked to the truck, Roxie met me by the *front* of the house. Hm. She had dug out under the fence. But she was happy to go back into the yard, and I piled up stones in the area that she'd dug out, and talked with her about that we really needed her to stay close by and that she shouldn't do that anymore.

I went to the PetSmart and got the little pen (we'll leave the little gate open so Roxie can come and go, but the pups are safe). It's the kind pictured here. Roxy and the pups were in their room when I got home to help me put it together. They are now sacked out up there, the pups having had a nice drink of milk (on their own, from their momma).

3 comments:

Diane said...

Oh no oh no oh no. I will be thinking of Pup 4 - and that he is in Puppy Heaven with Pup 1 and they are having a grand old time with treats and squeaky toys and all manner of good things. You must be devastated by all this. I hope you are both hanging in there.

And poor Roxy probably doesn't know whether she's coming or going. She must be confused as all get out and worried about her pups. Remember how Ernie bit me when we first got him? I think he was tired and confused and scared by everything even though we'd had him for some time. And of course now you wouldn't even suspect the little love bug could so such a thing. But I am still careful. You just never know.

collfitz said...

Wow...this is so much heartbreak just to read, I can only imagine what you and John and Roxie are going through.

I'd seen little snippets of puppy stuff on facebook, but have been busy with summer teaching and moving and moving, so I've been out of it internet-wise. I'm really sorry to hear about all the puppy tragedies, but I'm pulling for some puppy good news on the way!

Patep said...

Man... lo siento to everybody involved. How sad! Y'all did all you could & the universe knows that. Pup 4 was just meant to be hangin' w/ Pup 1 on another plane. :-(

Hang in there everybody... I'll be sendin' good vibes out to the humans & the canines...