21 August, 2007

Adopted? Or not...


This morning I met with a young woman who had been corresponding with me for days about adopting Pan. She came to visit him, met Roxie as well, and seemed to be perfect. She has a dog of her own (a 3 year old beagle) who needs a pal, and she clearly was enamoured with Pan based on his photos and such.

So we had a nice visit, and at the end of it I handed her my sweet puppy and let her drive away with him. I thought that I could get on with the business of grieving over losing him (so selfish, I know, but inevitable) and go forward to the next step in this whole doggie drama.

But within a few hours she had called me back, clearly panicking, saying that her dog was terrified of Pan, and could she bring him back. She called twice, each time I told her that of course he could come back if she needed, but that it may take any dog some time to get used to having a new friend around, and patience may be all that's needed.

So, I don't know whether I'm going home tonight to an evening of grieving or an reunion followed by more worry about finding a place for Pan soon, so that he can avoid the worst of the doggy separation trauma. I don't even know which I really want it to be. Ugh.

1 comment:

collfitz said...

Ah...I got your photo link last night and couldn't call up the blog...I hope things work out for Pan with the nice young woman. From the little I know, it sounds like patience (and maybe waiting a while before the two dogs really have to interact extensively?) is a good approach. And probably as she gets stressed out, the animals respond to that.

I am feeling your heartbreak and grief through all this!

xoxo