28 August, 2007

One week anniversary

Today is our one week anniversary of being officially small-puppy free. Pan must've settled in to his new home, as I've heard nothing more from his new mom. So he's now situated somewhere across town, and Iorek is in the next neighborhood over from us. So close and yet so far.

Since my last post we've met once more with the behaviorists, and have instructions to work on getting Dash and Dot to feel comfortable coming into the house. We're moving their food dishes each day so that they're closer to coming into the hallway from the puppy room, and we will slowly move the food downstairs into the living room area. Once they're OK with being in the living room, with the people ignoring them, we'll be ready for our first lesson.

Roxie and I have been having our morning walks each day, first thing. She's so good to walk with - she never pulls on the leash, and she's so pleased to be out and about! Plus, also, Haku comes with us most days. He drops back behind us for a while, then comes racing up past us; he disappears when other people or cars show up, and then reappears when it's safe. He seems to really enjoy coming along with us - I think it's because that's his only time with his girlfriend, whom he loves as much as I do.

Roxie has her appointment for her spay a week from Friday, and then we'll have to start in earnest focusing on finding a permanent home for her. She's such a good girl, I think it won't be too hard to find someone who'll love her (especially if we get to put her photo on petfinder, and participate in Petsmart adoption events with Animals' Crusaders, as Rose has said we could). It'll be harder than it was to find homes for the puppies, of course. And it'll be more difficult for me because Roxie and I have gone through so much together, and I had to win her trust. And I know she'll be nervous about going to someone else's house and being their dog (though I also know she'll bond with the right person pretty quickly).

This is all happening as the semester's started, and I've been trying to settle in to some kind of reasonable work schedule. I think that's starting to happen, and this has the makings of a really great semester, if I can concentrate on the right things, and stop worrying so much over the stuff I can't control.

Hah! Wouldn't that be great?

3 comments:

collfitz said...

Ah, I've been wondering what was going on with young Pan. It sounds like the new place is taking. The behaviorist and bonding stuff seems to be progressing. Nice job!

I think Roxie is a sweetheart and very adoptable! (good news/bad news simultaneously)

Diane said...

I wish we could take Roxie, but I don't think it would work with Ernie and we have so little yard. I know how Roxie likes to be out and about. But as everyone is saying, she's a such a sweet dog, has a great disposition, some good people will take her home, I'm sure!

I know how hard it is to focus on the good things sometimes. Maybe we need more of a bonding session!

Patep said...

I'm selfishly hoping that y'all can manage to keep Roxie til after we visit so that I'll get to meet at least one of these characters I've been reading about all summer!

Good luck w/ the transition though... it's hard & sad, but, well, i guess it's got to happen sometime. Ugh.

& good luck w/ all the school stuffs too!! bleah!!